Firearm Transfers

Have you ever tried to send or receive a firearm but weren’t sure how to do it?

Have you just bought a firearm online and wondered how you take possession of the firearm? Maybe you sold a firearm to someone out of state and need to ship that firearm.  You might have looked into transferring the gun and you learned that transfers the gun through an FFL can involve navigating many rules and requirements around firearm transfer laws and shipping.

Worry not! Conducting an FFL transfer is easy…. we here at Freedom First Self Defense can help you.

FFL Transfers

Within the state of Florida, firearm transactions (gift, loan, sale, etc.) between two private individuals that reside within the state of Florida don’t require a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL).

A firearm transfer is a change in possession of a firearm from an FFL to another FFL or a person/customer (non-FFL). The person or entity receiving the gun is the transferee.

Technically, any changing of possession of any item is transferring the item, however, the term “transfer,” when used with firearms, almost always means processing the gun through a licensed FFL dealer to a transferee as part of a firearm transaction.

Since the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), firearms that travel interstate (across state lines) must be transferred using a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL). This is true even if the purchaser has a handgun or firearm permit.  Freedom First Self Defense LLC can act as your transfer agent.

NFA Transfers

NFA items or NFA Firearms, like silencers, short-barreled rifles, etc. need to be transferred to an FFL that is also an SOT. Despite a lot of people using the term, there is really no such thing as a Class 3 License but rather an FFL dealer (usually a type 1 FFL) with a Class 3 SOT who will conduct the NFA transfer for the NFA item. Freedom First Self Defense LLC is not a Class 3 SOT. If you need this type of transfer, we recommend you contact JW Weaponry.

FFL Transfer Process

When you purchase a firearm from an FFL dealer, you will need to have the firearm transferred to you.

If you are not an FFL holder (i.e. you don’t have your own FFL), then you, as the buyer, will need to go to the FFL dealer’s licensed premises to fill out an ATF Form 4473 (and other required paperwork in some states) and satisfy the background check requirements (typically a NICS background check).

The exception to this is you may have the gun (and any additional firearm you purchase) transferred to you at another location as long as it is a “qualifying event” like a gunshow.

As the buyer, you may have to rely on the dealer to know whether the location/event is legitimate.

The place of purchase is not necessarily an issue like the place of transfer is. For example, it is perfectly legal to purchase the gun online as long as it is shipped to an ffl dealer where you go to have it transferred to you.

The FFL transfer process below assumes that you don’t have your own FFL. If you already have your own FFL, then the gun can just be shipped straight to you or straight from you to the other FFL.

Buying a Firearm

Freedom First Self Defense LLC does not operate a retail store. We provide the following services:

  • Order a firearm online for you and act as the transfer agent.
  • Act as your transfer agent for your direct online purchases.

If you want Freedom FIrst Self Defense LLC to act as your transfer agent, contact us at:

  2. 386-965-1055

or use the contact button below.